This article is going to go over the most forgotten baby registry items.
When we were about to have our first child, we quickly realized something.
We realized how frustrating and difficult filling out a baby registry could be.
As new parents, we weren’t 100% sure what we needed. We knew the very obvious, diapers and baby wipes. But what about the hidden gems.
You know those items only experienced moms and dads would know they needed.
As we’re stumbling through parenthood, we’ve realized there was a lot of things we should have put in the baby registry, but didn’t.
We either didn’t know or forgot. On top of that, there was a lot of items on our baby registry we didn’t need.
As they say, hindsight is 20/20 and experience is the best teacher of them all.
This article will hopefully keep you from making the same mistakes we did.
We’re going to give you the most forgotten baby registry items. Some of those items we’re still looking back today and thinking…
“We really should have put that on the baby registry.”
*Disclosure: This site contain affiliate links. If you click and make a purchase, I may receive a commission. For more info, please see my disclaimer.
Most Forgotten Baby Registry Items
1. A “White Noise” Machine
- 6 SLEEP SOUNDS – The white noise machine has 6 sleep sounds: Rain, Brook, Ocean, Thunder, White Noise, Summer Night. The sleep machine sounds help you drift off to sleep
- MASK BACKGROUND NOISES - The sound machine sleep sounds help you fall asleep easier, sleep better, wake-up refreshed. The white noise sound machine is perfect for blocking out the sound of noisy...
- OPTIONAL AUTO-OFF TIMER - Leave the sound on all night or use the optional timer that can be set for 15, 30 or 60 minutes. The noise machine is great for helping you fall asleep and prevents your...
It’s very fitting that the first item on this list has to do with your baby sleeping. You’ll notice a pattern.
Several items we have on this list revolves around your baby being able to sleep well.
For a good reason. If your baby is able to sleep well…you’ll be able to sleep well also.
A white noise machine like the Big Red Rooster is an excellent way to help your baby sleep better. You might be wondering…
What is white noise? It’s a continuous sound you hear that’s played at the same sound level over and over again (source).
An example of this would be the sound of a fan.
Typically it’s the same light sound continuously, without a change to the frequency of the sound.
If you’re going to use this be mindful that the sound isn’t too loud. Get the Big Red Rooster white noise machine.
Get the Big Red Rooster white noise machine on Amazon.
2. A Nosefrida SnotSucker
- HYGIENIC: Disposable filters are clinically proven to prevent the transfer of mucus or bacterial germs to the snot sucker when clearing stuffy noses. Replace filter after every use.
- COMFORTABLE + NON-INVASIVE: NoseFrida creates a seal with the outside of the baby’s nostril for gentle snotsucking.
- DISHWASHER SAFE: The blue nasal tube, red mouthpiece, and filter cap are top-rack dishwasher safe for easy cleaning.
You’re probably familiar with the bulb syringe. You know like this one…
- 3 oz. Color: Green Can be used for any aspiration or irrigation procedure.
- Long tapered tip and increased suction power.
- Pronounced ribs provide a secure grip for more accurate volume control.
If you’re not familiar with a bulb syringe, don’t worry.
We’re sure you’ll get one as a baby shower gift. Those gifts will be well-meaning, but bulb syringes are like VHS.
Archaic, inefficient and for whatever reason still lingering around. Bulb syringes can be difficult to clean.
If you don’t clean them well, they have the potential to harbor unsafe germs.
By the nature of their design, they can be more of an irritant to the child’s nostrils.
You also don’t have as much control over the suction power of the bulb syringe.
Which leads me to why a nose Frida snotsucker is a better choice.
They’re easier to clean. They don’t need to go up as far in the baby’s nose. You can control the level suction of the nose frida.
While it might look disgusting, there’s a replaceable filter in between.
So you’re not sucking up the mucus. The one downside is that it can be more expensive than the bulb syringe. The added cost of the filters doesn’t help either.
In the grand scheme of things, a Nosefrida can be a little more expensive, but it’s worth it.
If it keeps your baby’s nasal passages clear. They’re calm, and you’re calm. Get your NoseFrida Snotsucker.
Related Article: Nose Frida vs Bulb Syringe
3. A humidifier
- VARIABLE SPEED SETTINGS: No matter the humidity level you would like to achieve we've got you covered. The Crane Adorable cool mist humidifiers offer variable output settings and an adjustable 360...
- WHISPER QUIET: Crane's Adorables humidifiers runs whisper quiet which makes it the perfect option for light sleepers, kids, and especially babies. This cow humidifier is made with clean control...
- ONE GALLON TANK: The 1 gallon tank fits under a standard kitchen or bathroom sink, and has an easy to carry handle at the top. Our humidifiers are filter free, but we offer an optional...
Since we’re already talking about stuffy and congested noses.
Let’s talk about a good preventative and another commonly forgotten baby registry items.
A humidifier. A stuffy nose can keep your little one from getting a good nights sleep.
I said this before, and I’ll probably continue saying it. If they’re not sleeping well, you won’t be.
Go ahead and get the Crane cool mist humidifier to help your little one sleep better. You could also get this Vicks humidifier
- VICKS FILTER-FREE COOL MIST HUMIDIFIER: This cool mist humidifier won't need replacement filters, & it's 1.2 gallon tank can give up to 33 hours of soothing mist. Vicks cool mist humidifier is quiet,...
- VICKS HUMIDIFIERS FOR BABIES, KIDS, ADULTS: Humidifiers diffuse moisture into the air, and many women and men find that a humidifier for the bedroom becomes an essential part of a good nights sleep...
- COUGH & CONGESTION RELIEF: When you or your kid has a cold, it can be difficult to sleep through the night. Humidifiers, vaporizers, & steam inhalers provide temporary relief from coughing &...
Its cheaper than the crane. But not as cool looking.
4. Kiinde Breast Milk Storage Twist Gift Set
- DIRECT & GERM-FREE PUMP-TO-BAG SYSTEM: The Kiinde Breast Milk Storage System allows you to collect, store, prepare, and feed using a single disposable breast milk storage bag. You won’t need to...
- PUMP & NIPPLE ADAPTERS INCLUDED: We’ve included adapters that fit all major pump brands, allowing you to pump directly into Twist Pouches. Since babies can be particular about nipples, you can also...
- SAFE BOTTLE WARMER TECHNOLOGY: The included Kozii bottle warmer uses a low-temperature warming system that is specifically designed to preserve the delicate nutrients and proteins in breast milk. It...
If you’re breastfeeding and you haven’t bought any bottles or a breast pumping kit yet you should consider Kiinde.
The premise of their system is ease of use. You pump into their pouch.
You’ll store the breast milk in that pouch.
When you’re ready to feed the baby, you’re going to warm up the breast milk that’s in the pouch.
You’re also going to feed the baby from that pouch. All without pouring the breast milk into another container.
You reduce the risk of spilling the “liquid gold.”
This short narration doesn’t do the system justice, but it does work. We tried their starter package, and we were impressed with it.
If we had tried it earlier before we invested in the bottles we had, we probably would have gone with their system.
This brings me to the potential downside.
What makes their system so great and easy to use is their ecosystem.
What makes it bad, is the ecosystem.
Once you start using their bottles, you have to continue using their system.
They have an adapter you can use for the major breast pump systems.
But I’m talking about the actual bottles themselves.
Definitely worth checking out the Kiinde Breast Milk Storage Twist Gift Set.
- Swaddling has been around for ages as it helps to prevent the startle reflex. But forcing the baby’s arms to their sides or over their chest prevents two natural behaviors that frustrate the baby...
- First - Over 90% of babies sleep with their ARMS UP around their head when placed on their back to sleep. This is simply a baby’s natural and preferred way to sleep, just like in the womb!
- Second - All babies are born with the need to SELF-SOOTHE by touching their face and sucking on their hands as they did in the womb. This medically proven behavior is how a baby calms and falls asleep...
You might be fortunate to have a baby that sleeps without a problem.
If you’re like us and most of the parents we know, your baby will struggle sleeping.
Most of the issue with swaddling has to do with their startle reflex.
A swaddle helps with managing the startle reflex.
I won’t bore you with the whole detail of how a swaddle helps a baby sleep.
You can check it out in this article “How Does Swaddling help a Baby Sleep Through the Night.”
As for now take my word on it. It can help.
The traditional way of doing a swaddle is with a blanket and doing this…
You might not be “swaddling challenged.” But I am.
Not to mention our baby was not a fan of the traditional swaddle.
So we had to find another option.
We found the swaddle up sleep sack.
We found the swaddle up sleep sack.
This is not the only sleep sack on the market.
There are plenty of others.
Plenty of cheaper ones actually.
But this is the one we’ve found that’s worked the best for us.
It’s made with quality material.
We have several different sizes, and they’ve withstood countless rounds in the washer and dryer.
With it, our baby sleeps…well like a baby.
Well you know.
Get your Swaddle-Up Sleepsack.
6. Breast Pump
A breast pump is another one of the most forgotten baby registry items.
If you’re going to be breastfeeding, you’re going to need a breast pump.
If you’re exclusively breastfeeding,…you’re definitely going to need a breast pump.
You might know this already.
But you probably won’t think about putting this on your baby registry.
Even if your health insurance company will pay for it, or cover for some of it go ahead and put it on your registry.
We think this might be one of the most forgotten baby registry items.
The other thing many parents don’t think about is don’t get the cheap ones.
Using a breast pump is not the most comfortable or pleasant thing in the world.
What’s going to make it worse is a breast pump that’s not very good.
- Low build quality.
- Low suction strength.
- Not being easily portable.
Those are just some of the things you need to watch out for when you’re getting a breast pump.
Check out the Spectra Breast Pump.
Check out the Spectra Breast Pump.
7. Dishwasher Baskets for Baby Bottles and Nipple
- Soft, silicone reach through top
- Flip open lid for larger items
- Keeps bottles and components secure in dishwasher
Washing baby bottles is a pain.
If you go through as many bottles as we do you’ll dread it night in and night out.
A dishwasher basket for baby bottles is a must have baby registry item that’s not remembered.
With a baby bottle dishwasher basket, you’ll put all the small baby bottle parts in there to keep it from getting lost in the dishwasher.
Run the hot cycle to sanitize and call it good.
A baby bottle dishwasher basket has been a lifesaver.
Get yours today.
8. A Comfortable Front Baby Carrier
Your baby is going to want to be held a lot.
If your hands are full with your little one that leaves you with no hands to do everything else you need.
A front baby carrier like the Ergobaby…
- ✅ ALL SEASONS - An adjustable temperature-regulation panel allows you to easily control the temperature and keep baby and mom or dad cool or warm depending on the situation; zips-up for warmth and...
- ✅ 6 ERGONOMIC CARRY POSITIONS - The structured bucket seat adjusts to keep your baby ergonomically seated in every development stage, starting from DAY 1 through all the baby wearing years....
- ✅ UNIVERSAL ERGONOMIC FIT - The patent pending adjustable seating position and ergonomic bucket seat perfectly adjust to your growing baby, and enable your baby to be seated in an optimal natural "M...
Or if you’re looking for something a little bit more stylish.
You can’t go wrong with getting a ring sling baby carrier.
- ✔ CREATES A NOURISHING HEARTFELT BOND: Carrying your baby close to your chest will feel like being wrapped in a loving embrace, which helps your little love gain a sense of trust & belonging. It is...
- ✔ ECO-FRIENDLY, SUPER SOFT BAMBOO & LINEN THAT'S KIND TO BABY'S SKIN: Warm Sand beige is our most popular color. The fabric is a gorgeous, neutral beige with very soft pink undertones. It is more...
- ✔ SAFEST CARRY POSITION FOR CORRECT HIP DEVELOPMENT: Many carriers interfere with healthy hip positioning as the baby is held incorrectly or facing outward & this can increase the risk of hip...
Is a good way to be able to hold on to your baby.
While keeping your hands free to do everything else you need to do.
They’re also a good way to go on a relaxing walk with your baby.
Or shopping at the mall.
9. A Car Seat Cover
- 5-in-1 Cover. Baby Car Seat Cover. Nursing Cover. Shopping Cart Cover. High Chair Cover. Infinity Scarf. Stretchy fabric fits most car seats, shopping carts, and nursing mothers
- Covers are made for all season use and provide protection against the elements. Great for both nursing and as a car seat cover.
- High quality, modern, and trendy fabric is a rayon blend and folds compactly for easy storage.
A car seat cover serves three purposes.
- It’ll cover the car seat and protect your baby from the elements in the car.
- It’ll cover the car seat and protect your baby from the elements when he or she’s in the stroller outside.
- It’s a cover for when you have to breastfeed in a more public place.
It’s a nifty all-purpose item and one you’ll find yourself using over and over again.
We never thought about this until we got it as a gift.
It quickly climbed to the top of my list of things I wish I registered for our baby.
Get your Copper Pearl Baby Car Seat Cover.
10. Mom Washer Peri Bottle Care for Postpartum Care
- Effective: one-way air valve for continuous, gentle water pressure exactly where you need it
- Ergonomic design: Specifically designed to be held upside down, with a narrow neck for easy maneuvering "down there"
- Smart: Speeds up the post-partum healing process and way better than the hospital squirt bottle
Who says a baby shower registry is just for the baby.
Not all peri bottles are created equally.
Likely you will be given a peri bottle at the hospital.
It will probably look like this…
And it will frustrate you.
Not only it is hard to aim, but you will only be able to utilize about half water in the bottle.
The mom washer peri bottle by Fridababy must have been created by someone who has experienced the postpartum pain.
Also keep in mind, it’s important to use after every bathroom encounter.
It would be ideal to keep a peri bottle in every bathroom in your house for the first few weeks.
The MomWasher Peri Bottle for Postpartum Care is a great way to make post delivery vaginal care easier and a lot cleaner.
11. Baby Silicone Bath for Cradle Cap
- BRUSH OFF DRY SKIN, CRADLE CAP AND ECZEMA with 100% antibacterial silicone brush
- NO DRY TIME SO NO MOLD making DermaFrida the SkinSoother ,Sayonara smelly wash clothes
- BUILT-IN BABY MASSAGE to make baby bath time more enjoyable and calm baby for bedtime. Suction Cup
Cradle cap is a yellowish scaly rash that can appear in infants.
Generally very common and goes away on its own (source).
While not usually an issue for the infant it’s something you might want to address.
If not addressed the scales can lead to bleeding.
It’s much better to get into the habit of light exfoliation with mild shampoo or baby oil at bath time to prevent progression.
This baby brush by Fridababy can help remove those scales.
12. Diaper Wipes Dispenser
- Fits up to 100 wipes. The weighted plate dispenses one wipe at a time and the silicone gasket keeps wipes fresh and moist. Dimension:8.75" x 6.5" x 4.5"
- Weighted plate dispenses one wipe at a time and keeps the next wipe ready, upright and waiting
- Dispenser lid opens with a simple push
If you’re going to be a new mom or a new dad than you might not know about the struggle.
The struggle I’m talking about is getting three or four diaper wipes when you only really want one.
Not to mention annoying when you’re trying to wipe off a poopy bottom and your diaper wipes aren’t cooperating.
With the diaper wipes dispenser by OXO Tot you don’t have to worry about it.
The dispenser has a weighted top that helps to make sure when you’re pulling out a diaper wipe you’re only pulling out one.
Diaper wipe dispenser by OXO Tot is a perfect addition to your baby nursery.
If you’re wanting a diaper wipes dispenser for on-the-go you can check this one out also.
13. Baby Formula
- IMMUNE SUPPORT: Similac Pro-Advance is the first infant formula with 2’-FL human milk oligosaccharide,* designed to be closer than ever to breast milk. (*Not from human milk.)
- NO ARTIFICIAL GROWTH HORMONES: Similac is the first leading infant formula brand with no artificial growth hormones (No significant difference has been shown between milk derived from rbST-treated and...
- REDUCED FUSSINESS: Parents reported reduced fussiness, gassiness, and spit-up after 1 day (After switching to Similac Pro-Advance)
There’s without a doubt a lot of benefits to breastfeeding. The American Academy of Pediatrics supports breastfeeding.
The health and mental benefits are widely researched (source).
I know you said you’re going to be exclusively breastfeeding.
In an ideal world that would be so. Unfortunately, we don’t live in an ideal world, and having kids will put you in not so ideal situations.
While you may never need it. It doesn’t hurt to keep some baby formula around, just in case.
That’s our list of the most forgotten baby registry items.
Did we miss anything?
Also please take a moment to share this article of the most forgotten baby registry items
We want to help other moms and dads.